PYO Strawberries

Finally, my first strawberries of the season and they have been worth the wait. Just delicious.  Until now, although strawberries are in season and grown locally, they still arrive in the supermarket and markets covered in plastic and packaging.  I have been resisting the temptation until the picking season started, and I have finally picked my own at Bellies Brothers Farm Shop and Garden Centre.  Yes we had to driver there (carbon footprint) but we were visiting friends for lunch close by so seemed the perfect opportunity.


My mum arrived at our house a few weeks ago with two plastic punnets of nectarines (she was very apologetic) but being conscious of the waste I kept them, knowing we were planning a PYO session. So we took these with us and the farm also had some larger cardboard punnets (in addition they also have smaller plastic ones.)

 
The whole family had so much fun searching in the rows of leaves for the little red gems.  It did not take long to collect 4kg (and eat a few too).   The plan for these delicious fruits:
  • Eaton mess with home made meringue and yogurt  
  • Smoothie lollies - blended strawberries in the kids lolly moulds and frozen
  • Strawberry jam
  • Strawberry milkshake
  • Frozen half strawberries
I will post later on in the week to let you know how they all turn out but the Eaton Mess was a big hit.  This time I used egg whites for the meringues...  but I am really keen to try using the juice from cans of chickpeas next time. 

Where do you PYO and what will you do with your fruit?






Comments

Popular Posts