Re-Usable Nappies

This week is reusable nappy week. So this seems like the perfect time to tell you a little about how great these nappies are: a far throw from terry cloth and nappy pins and buckets of Milton.  Here is a little of what I have learnt along the way.  

The hardest thing is working your way through all the different brands that are out there and the types of nappy they have to offer.   The best place to start is your local nappy library where you can borrow trial kits to try what works best.  Or contact your local council as some offer incentives (financial or free trial kits).   The nappy lady has a good questionnaire along with great information and advice on knowing what will work best for you and your lifestyle.  


A friend gave me a bag of size-1 (newborn to 6-months) two-part nappies when I was expecting my first child (she told me they had already been through seven children but still had lots of life left... She was right!) I didn't even look in the bag until my little one was eight weeks old as there was so much else going on with a new born I was advised to get a little settled before diving in.  I think this is good advice especially for first time parents.  

I knew these nappies would only last the first 6-months so I took to Gumtree (Facebook market place is a great place to look too).  I got 16 of the Little Lamb all-in-one-pocket birth to potty nappies off Gumtree (the first on the left above).  Some had been used once but some had not even been pre-washed.  I got very lucky with this find as they did not cost me much at all.  So many people have a stash in their loft or at the back of wardrobe they have never used, given by friend etc... and never got into using them.  I also got two free from Cheshire East (the nappy far right is a Tots Bots birth to potty).  And then I treated myself to just one, the Bambino Mio all-in-one, when they were in Aldi (middle in the photo).  I like them all.  Some dry faster than others but then they don't absorb as much wee.  The best part about the two-parters for me is you can separate the cloth inserts with the plastic outers and pop the inserts on the radiator without worrying about the plastic in the nappy perishing under the heat.  



Once you have worked out what sort of nappies will work best for you (two-parters, all-in-ones, birth-to-potty, pocket nappies, poppers, velcro etc..)  then here are a few things I think are a must for starting out with re-usable nappies:

20ish  nappies - this is approximately three-days worth of nappies plus an extra day to cover you while they dry ready to start again (more if you are using them at night).

Reusable wipes - I got some baby flannels from Poundland (5 for a £1) and found these worked really well at a fraction of the cost of others purpose made baby wipes such a Cheeky Wipes.  I have a bowl of water next to the baby changing table, wet the flannel, use it and put it in the nappy bin. 

Bin with a lid -  You can get special bins which have mesh bag in it from Bambino Mio or I just used a 15-litre plastic bin with a lid from Wilko.  It's still going strong.

Non biological washing powder - For washing the nappies.  I have perfected not needing to actually touch them when putting them in the machine.  Set the machine on to a rinse cycle followed by a 60℃ wash (pre 6 months then 40℃ after that).

A peg hanger -  I love the Ikea octopus as it is so easy to peg up the nappies.  The best part for me is I can put them outside but grab them really quickly if the rain starts without un-pegging each individual nappy.  The sun is great for stains on nappies (or on any baby clothes) and is the perfect natural bleach.  

Essential oil - Once I have cleaned out my nappy bin I put a couple of drops of essential oil in the bottom of the bin and on the inside of the lid.  It makes the bin smell so much better when you lift it to add a nappy in.   This is a great tip whether you are using reusable or disposable nappies.

A wet bag for when you are out and about - These bags are great for so many thing not just nappies.  Potty training, wet clothes from playing in the park, poo explosions requiring a full outfit change etc.  I carry this bag around and when I change the nappy I just pop it all in the bag - wipes and all - then I sort it all out when I get home making changing on the go no different from disposable.  

Then once you start weaning:

20ish nappy liners - These are not needed for new-born baby milk poos but as you start weening it is good to be able to flush any solids - You can buy flush-able biodegradable ones or reusable.  My reusable ones are an Ikea fleece blanket cut up.   

Being honest: yes they are a little more hassle than disposable nappies but only because you have to remember to take them out of the machine or you'll be short of nappies!  Instead of taking them out to your refuse bin you are putting them in the washing machine so no difference there.  Once you get in to the habit, it is completely manageable.   As a big big plus there is so much less waste.  Yes you wash them (which takes energy and water) but if you always wash a full load and then hang them up to dry rather than tumbling, the impact is significantly less.  The big bonus is you don't have hundreds or nappies in your landfill bin at the end of each fortnightly bin collection.  Honestly the best thing we ever did on our waste-free journey.


Comments

Popular Posts