Making Beeswax Wraps

It has been a few weeks since I visited Bax Bees in Plumley to get my food-grade beeswax and I have finally found time to make some of my own beeswax wraps.  They are super easy to make and relatively quick to do too.  The nice thing about making your own is:  you can make them what ever size, shape and fabric pattern you like.


I must admit I was a little sceptical about what I would use them for.  (I didn't use cling film before, I just transferred thing to Tupperware boxes).  But since making them I find we regularly have them all in use at once. This means I just make more in the exact size we need.  I use them for covering bowls of food, wrapping sandwiches for packed lunches, wrapping loaves of bread, cake or cheese.  I am genuinely amazed at how fresh things stay when wrapped.


So what you need for making your own beeswax wraps:
  • Food grade beeswax
  • 100% cotton fabric (e.g. clean and dry pillow case, bed sheets, leftover craft fabric etc.) 
  • grater
  • greaseproof paper
  • pinking shears
  • Ironing Board
  • Iron
Step by step guide on my video here:



(please excuse the 'wrong' aspect ratio, this is my first video, there is text at the bottom of the video if you expand the window to full screen.  I have so much to learn!)

In summary:
  1. Place single sheet of greaseproof paper on the ironing board
  2. Cut your clean and dry fabric to any size, shape you want (use more greaseproof if the fabric is bigger)
  3. Use pinking shears for the edges, this makes a neater edge, stops fraying and makes forming a straight line more forgiving!
  4. Place your cut piece of fabric on the greaseproof of paper
  5. Grate the food grade beeswax on the fabric (don't worry if it is not enough first time you can always repeat)
  6. Place the second sheet of greaseproof paper over the fabric and wax
  7. Iron using a medium heat with no steam (you don't want to do it too hot as to damage the natural good characteristics of the beeswax)
  8. Peel the greaseproof paper away from the fabric.  
  9. Repeat as required to catch any bits you may have missed, I do this on the opposite side of the fabric but I don't think it matters too much as it does soak through to the other side when the wax is hot.
  10. When you are finished remove the fabric from the greaseproof paper, hold in your finger tips until the fabric becomes rigid.
  11. You are now able to use your very own completely unique beeswax wrap!

It honestly is that simple. 

Just wash them with tepid water and a cloth in-between use.  The nice thing about making your own and having the wax is you can always reapply when the wax starts to break down.  Or just pop them in the compost bin and make some more from scratch.   

Have fun.  Please share yours with me.  

Comments

  1. Do you not find that you need to use pine resin? So many recipes have it included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest I don't. As I understand it pine rosen (resin) adds a tackiness to the wrap which helps it stick to itself better or to the waxy skins of fruit and veg etc. So far mine are working well with just the food-grade beeswax, I don't find a need to add anything else. Like with all homemade things just be mindful of where your wax (and resisn/rosen if you add it) are coming from as they will be on contact with food. Local bee keepers are a great start. Good luck, have fun making.

      Delete
  2. Wow, wonderful blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is great, let alone the content!
    Receiving Blankets

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts