Good Old Fashioned Hankies

I used to feel like I was always buying boxes of tissues, and while they come in very minimal plastic (only a little flap around the opening, why?) it began to feel quite wasteful and unnecessary when there are hankies in the world.  


Whenever I mention hankies to anyone they always say my Grandma or Grandpa had them.  Its true they are quite old fashioned but so useful.  This basket-full here is from my Grandma and my Great Grandma (my mum had kept them).   I actually remember a few from my childhood and have such lovely memories of visiting my Grandma.   Talking to the older generation (who used hankies all the time) I got some great tips.  Steam iron them if you are worried about killing bacteria, even boiling them in water (nowadays I think popping them, while damp, in the microwave would work a treat too).  Generally though I just pop them in the wash basket, wash them with the normal clothes and then once they are clean and dry, pop them in this basket at the top of the stairs to grab one each time I get up in the morning.  I should clarify they are not always ironed and as neat as this.   

Really frustratingly if you go and buy new hankies from the shops today they seems to come in a plastic box so my search is on in charity shops.  But this lovely collection is being given a new lease of life.  Ultimately any fabric would work, e.g. repurposing old t-shirts etc as they are so soft.


Comments

  1. They're also a lot gentler on noses than paper tissues. Whenever the children or I have a cold, we reach for re-used cheeky wipes/fleece cloths, to try to stop our noses going red through repeated blowing.

    It's so simple to switch to these - I genuinely don't notice any change to the size of my washing pile ... a win-win for the purse and the environment!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts