When its Broke and Can't be fixed ... Its time for a new bread machine

Our 3rd hand bread machine has now broken.  It has been on the blink for the last few loaves but has now given up.  In an effort to avoid this going into landfill, it has been opened up but it does not look fixable no matter how many youtube videos are watched.  Seems impossible to get into it without destroying it. “No user serviceable parts inside”.   Why these days are machines designed in such a way as to be unfixable and reused?  The consumer industry just wants us to buy more!  This machine is somewhere between 10-15 years old, so it has done well.   


Two big questions:  What can I do with the old machine - our local recycling facility does take old electrical goods, but is there any better use for it?  And secondly what machine will I get next?  Mindful of the number of gadgets people have and don’t use I have looked at second hand ones on Facebook marketplace and Gumtree.  I even tried to buy one which was "brand new in the box" but got it home and it didn’t work.  I suspect the motor was broken.  The women I bought it off was amazingly understanding and allowed me to return it to her home and she gave me my money back. 

Getting to "try before you buy" a bread machine has been great.  I always liked the idea of one, but never bought one as I was worried we would do what so many people do and buy it, use it for the first few weeks and then just let it sit in the back of the cupboard.  Using this old one has made me appreciate how much we use it, and how we will avoid the plastic which accompanies a cheap loaf or the high cost of a nice artisan bread.  Also we will free up time from making a loaf from scratch.  So I now feel buying a new one will not just be a phase and is something that genuinely makes our life easier while going plastic free.   


Until we get a new one it is back to loaves of bread in a bread tin in the oven (yes I know it’s a silicon bread tin but I have had this for years so I am not going to bin it to replace it with a metal tin just for the sake or not using plastic, this is defiantly not the point of going plastic free, and reducing waste is such a big factor too).  They do come out looking nice and conventional and don’t have the metal paddle, but just take so much more effort to make.

Any thoughts on which new bread machine I should buy?

Comments

Popular Posts